Thursday, 11 October 2012

Things Are About to Get Odd...



When I originally signed up to Twitter as a means to getting myself further exposure I had little idea as to who to follow. Of course I knew a few people from my work with Sega Addicts and elsewhere, but other than that I hadn't a clue. So I turned to individual developers and studios, where I eventually found my old friends at Oddworld Inhabitants Inc. tweeting about a remake of their classic title Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee.

This got me thinking of all my fond memories of the Oddworld series starting right back in 1997 with Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee and moving onto the superb Oddworld: Abe's Exodus. I played these games during my early teenage years and they along with other games of mature theme, such as Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver and Flashback, were responsible for my transition away from the comfort of child orientated platformers to adult orientated games.

While I wasn't able to fully extrapolate Oddworld creator Lorne Lanning's true message of real-world multi-national food corporations bleeding our unsustainable planet dry for the sake of profit while playing the first two Abe games, the aesthetics certainly did resonate with me. Abe's apparent helplessness against the Glukon industrialists, and his seemingly futile plans of freeing his enslaved brothers from Rupture Farms made for a very uncomfortable gaming experience; an experience I had not had before and an experience I truly relished.



The news of a complete remake entitled Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee New 'N' Tasty really grabbed my attention and thrust the world of Oddworld right back into my life. Since then I've been following all news regarding  Lorne Lanning, his comments and that of Oddworld Inhabitants Inc. He and his team seem genuinely passionate about revitalising Oddworld as a brand free from the clutches of larger publishing companies so that everyone involved can make the games they truly want to make. Of note are his interview 'Stick it to the man' with VG247 and his talk at the recent Eurogamer Expo.

While I don't completely subscribe to all of Lanning's anti-capitalist views, they do fit perfectly with the themes of all of the Oddworld games and inspire me to play through them more thoroughly than I have done in the past.

Oddworld: Abe's Exodus is a game I've played through thoroughly and on many occasions, but I have yet to complete Abe's Oddysee or Munch's Oddysee. Stranger's Wrath has yet to be played at all by me. I am hoping to remedy this by going through all four Oddworld games starting at the beginning with Abe's Oddysee on the PC. So far I've enjoying it immensely, however I curse the fact that they hadn't implemented the quick save that appears in Exodus. Even so, my next series of gaming experiences are going to be quite odd indeed.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.