Saturday, 7 July 2012

CD-i Is What All True Warriors Strive For


Last weekend my girlfriend and I went out to a flea market in the small town of Reuver, which practically lies on the Dutch-German border. My girlfriend recently got a job, and I'm in the process of leaving my awful job at the call-centre for a job that both pays more and is closer to where I live, so we are both anticipating the jingle-jangle of some spare change in our pockets to spend on all those bits-and-bobs you have to overlook when money is tight.

First stall in and we hit quite the collection of retro games, but as usual, the Dutch won't let go of anything without charging an arm and a leg for it. I asked about Donkey Kong country 1, 2 & 3, and he wanted €50 for the lot. I swiftly moved on, if I wanted to pay what games are actually worth I wouldn't have gone to a flea market.


There were slim picking from there on in. I bought a Dutch Pong game which seems to have been hardly used for a mere €2, as well as an ethernet cable because, believe it or not, I don't have an enthernet cable at all.

But then out of the corner of my eye I saw something. A box with a pile of CDs in, a box with Philips written on the side, a box that upon closer inspection contained a very dull looking controller and light gun... A few minutes later, and €10 the poorer, I was legging it out of the flea market now the proud owner of a boxed Philips CD-i with a stack of games, controllers, light gun and all the necessary cables.

The three amigos.

Being one of gaming's most infamous creations, the CD-i  has not been a high priority purchase for me. However, my girlfriend actually grew up with one of these monstrosities and actually has some fond memories of playing a select few games. Unfortunately her trip down memory lane was postponed once we arrived home and discovered that, while the CD-i turns on, the disc motor is faulty and is unable to spin discs for more than a fraction of a second before giving up. This is a shame considering I got a whopping 18 games with it.

In addition to its ridiculous size, this thing weighed a tonne as well.

Some of these games look interesting, most of them don't and some are even Dutch exclusives. However one of the games is something very special indeed, something I will show to you all very soon so be sure to keep checking back at Sega MikeyDrive in the coming days to find out what it is.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving a comment on MegaWestgarth, the personal blog of freelance and creative writer Michael Westgarth.