Friday, 26 August 2016

Videogame Novels - Deus Ex: Icarus Effect

Deus Ex: Icarus Effect by James Swallow reads as well as I'd hoped. It's been on my "to read" list ever since I finished Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director's Cut last year. The game was fantastic, and exceeded my low expectations. So after learning that a prequel novel was written and published before the game's release, and that reviews were, on the whole, favourable, I'd been keeping a look out for a cheap copy to blast through.

It was Emma who gave me the copy of Deus Ex: Icarus Effect I have now. She snapped it up along with The Hellbound Heart (the copy with the ridiculous cover). And what with Deus Ex: Mankind Divided hurtling towards us, I thought now would be a good time to satisfy my golden-hued cyberpunk cravings, because I'm sure not paying £65 for whatever pre-order DLC-laden bullshit deluxe edition of Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Square-Enix have shat out, and I'm sure, sure not paying £40 for the same game with bits-and-bobs stripped out of it.

Monday, 22 August 2016

Soci of Metro - First Rejection

I've received my first literacy agency rejection for my novel Soci of Metro. But that's okay.

It was a form email—a copy & paste jobby. But that's okay.

I received the rejection only a handful of days after submitting. But that's okay.

I'm okay.

A lot of authors give a lot of advice about rejection. Most claim that a rejection is a badge of honour for aspiring writers, proof that they've gone through the submission gauntlet and come out the other side, a feat that many writers never reach, because they never finish their work and never submit in the first place.

Most also claim that rejection is inevitable, that taking a few bullets for your novel before finding success is standard fare, and that it's nothing to be ashamed of.

And they're right. And it's okay. But it still kinda stings.

The rejection email in question landed in my inbox barely a few hours after I'd scheduled my previous blog post. I didn't have the heart to change it. But it's okay. I'm okay.

The number of agents who have yet to respond is just under double digits, and I have another batch of submissions ready to go. It's tempting to rattle them all off as fast as possible, but as with any kind of writing, all these cover letters need time to breathe. I need time to breathe.

But it's okay. And I'm okay.

Wednesday, 17 August 2016

Soci of Metro: More Submissions Sent

The second batch of novel submissions to agencies has been sent off. Sample chapters and synopses of Soci of Metro have landed in the overcrowded inboxes of literary agents across the country. Well, London mostly.

It's disheartening to see that I've already made it halfway through my list of 20+ agencies that accept science fiction. Once the next few batches of submissions have been sent, and my list runs dry, what then?

It's only been a few weeks since sending my first batch. And most agencies state a firm 6-8 or 8-10 week response time. And though I've received no responses, I've received no rejections either. I still have a chance.

In the meantime I'm polishing up submissions, and working on a fourth draft of Soci of Metro. I say "fourth draft", although I'm only really hunting for typos. It's tedious, and I don't enjoy it, but it needs doing. Still, I'm busy, and that's the important thing. But it also means I don't have anything interesting to post on my blog, so… yeah, here's a GIF of Data playing with Spot.

Wednesday, 10 August 2016

The Hellbound Heart's Super Amazing and Cheesy Cover

I've been looking for a copy of The Hellbound Heart by Clive Barker for ages. Now I have one. And blimey, look at that super-awesome-cheesy cover.

Friday, 22 July 2016

Soci of Metro: First Submission Sent

When this post goes live, I should have already sent my first novel submission to a literary agent.

It's been three weeks since I finished the third draft of Soci of Metro. Since then I've been busy with various different tasks that have all led to this moment—this first submission.